Monday, April 4, 2011



March  1, 2011 
through 
April 30, 2011 

Homeless In Kitsap  

The voice of and for  
the homeless in Kitsap County 
ìSallyís Campî 
Opens  

     On Monday, February 7, 2011, 
ìSallyís Campî was dedicated 
with prayer (see picture at left) 
and an open house celebration at 
900 Pacific Ave. in downtown 
Bremerton. 
     The camp, operated by  
The Salvation Army and with the help 
of Kitsap Community Resources (they provide case management 
for each screened and background checked family), will provide 
shelter for up to 17 families at a time, 24/7, for six months. It has 
bathrooms, a kitchen, a playroom for little ones, and perhaps 
most importantly, is a safe and sanitary place to be. 
     And ìfamilyî isnít limited to mom and kids. Dads are welcome, 
too, and sons 12 and over.   
     Consider giving yourself a break and taking this opportunity  
to get your life back together. Youíll receive assistance with  
employment seeking (if youíre under or unemployed) and  
securing permanent housing. Your kids will be in a warm, dry, 
safe and secure environment with trained staff to oversee day to 
day operations. This is a gift you can give to yourself and your 
family. If youíre interested call Jim Stowers at KCR, (360) 473- 
2047 or just go to Kitsap Community Resources at 1201 Park 
Ave., in downtown Bremerton.    
YOU MAY QUALIFY FOR A 
FREE CELL PHONE 
AND MINUTES  

     Those of you without homes do not 
have the option of a land-line, yet you 
have the same needs as everyone else: 
to contact emergency services, day care, 
doctor, employer, family and friends, etc.   
    There are several companies that are 
part of the Lifeline Assistance program 
which is supported through the Universal 
Service fund. This fund is paid into by all 
those with home service and appears on 
the bill as a ìRelated Monthly Chargeî. 
     You may qualify if you receive: 
DSHS Chore Services 
SNAP 
SSI 
TANF 
COPES 
SFA 
Disability Lifeline (GA-U) 
or if you meet income criteria. 
     Two companies to contact for  
details are Assurance Wireless, 1-888- 
898-4888, and Safelink Wireless, 1- 
800-378-3768. 
Bremerton Rescue Missionís 
MISSION GUY MEAL TRUCK 
visits the DSHS office, 4710 Auto Center 
Way in Bremerton, on Tuesdays and 
Thursdays at 11:30 a.m. to provide lunch 
by  
donation. 
Pay what  
you can  
for a  
nutritious 
meal. 
Larry Steagall, The Kitsap Sun 

Homeless? Hungry? Attending Olympic College?  

If youíre a student at OC and are having a hard time staying in school 
because you canít afford tuition and books AND housing and utilities  
AND food and childcareÖ and could use a little help, stop by the 
STUDENTS IN NEED GROUP (SING)  
office in the Humanities & Student Services Bldg., Rm 206 
Monday thru Thursday, 10 am to 3 
pm, or and/or call program manager  
Patty Thomas at (360) 473-6817
 Check out their webpage at  
http://www.olympic.edu/Students/ 
StudentServices/SING/ 

Page 2 
HOMELESS  

Your children CANNOT  
be taken away from you 
just because 
youíre homeless 
per 
WAC 388-15-009 
 (5)(a) 
The ìHomeless In Kitsapî newsletter is 
written and edited by Sally Santana 
(sally.santana @wavecable.com)  
bi-monthly and is reviewed,  
produced and distributed by Major Jim 
Baker of The Salvation Army .  
Send info and updates to Sally
What do you think?  
This issue we ask 
Denise Agee,  
program director for 
St. Vincent de Paulís 
women and women with 
children emergency 
shelter in Bremerton 
this question: 

What do you think 
is the value of 
emergency 
shelters? 
Her response: 

      ìJenniferî is sitting in front of meÖ 
with her two children (boys, ages 5 
and 3), telling me what had happened 
to them last night. Homeless for a  
couple weeks, they had been staying 
in their car in a shopping center park- 
ing lot and someone tried to break in 
while they were sleeping.  Jennifer and 
the boys drove around in terror until 
she found a police station. She filed a 
report and the police searched for  
resources to house them for the night. 
They called the crisis clinic and were 
able to find emergency shelter (St. 
Vincentís) that the family could go into 
immediately. There they were safe, fed 
and comfortable.   
     I believe that emergency shelters 
are a lifesaver, for those who go in 
and a crimesaver for the police and 
the community. 
     Emergency Shelters provide  
resources, safety, support and  
comfort to those who are in critical 
need of stability. î  



CHILDCARE 
FOR 
HOMELESS 
CHILDREN  
      
          KCRís Homeless 
Childcare Program assists 
in locating and paying for 
childcare for children  
under age 13 on a short 
term basis. 
     Assistance must be  
for employment or  
employment activity, 
housing search, medical, 
substance abuse, court or 
counseling appointments. 
     Applicants must be  
homeless and not eligible 
for any other daycare  
subsidy program such as 
DSHS Working Connec- 
tions Daycare. 

HOMELESS  
KITSAP 
VETERANS! 
Contact Transitional  
Housing for Homeless Vets 
and Service Center, 1141 
Beach Dr., Bldg. 9 at Retsil 
in Port Orchard. 
call (360) 895-4394  
for details on housing and 
other benefits.    
 ~ FAST FACT ~  
Heat up a can of pop-top stew, soup,  
etc.by setting it on top of your heated  
car engine and stirring till suitably  
warm. You can also heat a can of baby 
formula or jar of food this way. 

Changes to the 
Americans with Disabilities Act 
Limits ìService Animalsî to Dogs 

Effective March 15, 2011 (http:// 
www.ada.gov/regs2010/factsheets/ 
title2_factsheet.html) is this change in the 
definition of ìservice animalî, as stated in 
the Fact Sheet: 
ìThe rule defines ëservice animalí as a dog 
that has been individually trained to do work 
or perform tasks for the benefit  
of an individual with a disability. The rule 
states that other animals, whether wild  
or domestic, do not qualify as service  
animals. Dogs that are not trained to  
perform tasks that mitigate the effects of  
a disability, including dogs that are used 
purely for emotional support, are not  
service animals. The final rule also  
clarifies that individuals with mental  
disabilities who use service animals that are 
trained to perform a certain task are pro- 
tected by the ADA. The rule permits the use 
of trained miniature horses as  
alternatives to dogs, subject to certain limi- 
tations. To allow flexibility in situations 
where using a horse would not be  
appropriate, the final rule does not include 
miniature horses in the definition of ëservice 
animal.î 


Page 3 
HOMELESS  
CALL 
2-1-1  
Or toll free 
1-877- 
211-9274 
if you need  
help finding  
services like  
medical, legal,  
housing and  
financial. 
Call 
Crisis Clinic  
of the  
Peninsulas 
at (360)  
479-3033 
if you need 
emotional 
support.  

 Necesita ayuda  
con el Ingles?  
Llame al Centro  
de Asistencia  
para  
inmigrantes al  
(360) 440-2376  
  












If you are a homeless  
SINGLE WOMAN 
without children, needing a safe 
car park there is one in Poulsbo. 
Call Rae Rodriguez at 
(360) 779-5190 or stop by North 
Kitsap Fishline, 18916 Third Ave.  
NE in Poulsbo.  
The January 2011 ìKitsap Community Guide for the Homeless and 
Low-Incomeî is now available. Pick one up at DSHS, The Salvation 
Army, Kitsap Community Resources, Kitsap Mental Health Services,  
Kitsap Transit, Kitsap Regional Library branches, and many churches  
and meal sites. Also online at The Kitsap Sunís ìSide Street Newsî  
blog  and City of Bremerton websites (and others).  
ARE YOU AN 
ADULT IN NEED 
OF EMERGENCY 
SHELTER? 
Call (360) 337-4625. 
Kitsap Recovery  
Center has 6 beds 
available and you  
donít have to be in 
recovery to get one.  
Need to 
Cash your 
PAYROLL 
or 
TAX REFUND CHECK 
and donít have a bank account? 
Walmart will cash your check 
(with state ID or Driver License) 
for $3 (if $1,000 or under) and 
$6 (if up to $5,000.) 
No personal checks cashed
~ FAST FACT ~ 

Last school year, we had 585 
known children without a home  
in Kitsap school districts. Each  
district has a liaison whose job  
it is to help the student and  
their family get in touch with  
resources that will help them  
stay in and succeed in school.  
Tell your childís teacher or  
office staff person that youíd like  
to speak with the 
ìhomeless liaisonî.  
Need an Address to 
RECEIVE MAIL? 

     You can have your mail delivered to your 
local post office for one month, free of 
charge, using  
General Delivery
After that, you would need 
to have it sent in care of a 
family member or friend, 
post office box, etc. All 
require a picture ID for pick-up. 

All Bremerton mail  (return address): 
Your Name 
General Delivery 
Bremerton, WA 98337 
Pick up your mail from the post office at: 
802 Pacific Avenue. 
All South Kitsap:mail (return address): 
Your Name 
General Delivery 
Port Orchard, WA 98366 
Pick up your mail from the post office at: 
1125 Bethel Avenue 
All North Kitsap mail (return address); 
Your name 
General Delivery 
Poulsbo, WA 98370 
Pick up your mail from the post office at: 
19240 Jensen Way 
All Bainbridge Island mail (return address): 
Your name 
General Delivery 
Bainbridge Island, WA 98311 
Pick up your mail from the post office at: 
10355 NE Valley Rd. 
DUE TO 
BUDGET CUTS 
the DSHS office 
at 4710 Auto 
Center Way will 
be CLOSED on 
March 11 
April 22 
June 10th 
However, the Online  
Application for Benefits service 
will be available. Go to: 
http://www.dshs.wa.gov/ 
onlinecso/applying.shtml 
You canít see the opportunities of  
tomorrow if you are focused solely 
on the problems of today. 
Find something to  
express gratitude for each day.  
From a student who wishes to remain anonymous... 

 I was born into a Christian family, but I didnít take it too seriously. I 
was a hypocrite going to church, and leaving to do whatever I wanted in this 
material world. I had to go through things to learn from them. I was becom- 
ing a person I knew I wasnít.  Iíve got one life to live, which sucked so far, 
and I was going to have as much fun as I could. Sound familiar? While I  
always had God speaking in my heart, and I was a relatively nice guy- as my parents taught me to be, I started 
becoming rebellious at the house doing what I wanted, and leaving whenever I wanted.  I thought I could take 
care of myself. Thatís when I moved out at 15. 
         From 15 to 18, I continued to rebel and make poor choices.  I lived between homelessness, couch surfing 
and making false promises to my parents, just to stay with them briefly if I had no where else for shelter.  I was 
pretty much living the life I wanted -  I was partying, popular with women, high every day, tagging the city 
(graffiti,) and getting into fights with or without my friends, hence making myself a reputation.  I was having 
all that fun really no effort to find a job, but once my friends parents started getting tired of me being around 
making no progress at 18, homelessness was becoming more of an issue.  Survival became my focus. I began 
to smoke meth, sleep in a tree house, look really unhealthy, and get myself into life threatening situations with 
a crowd I wasnít meant to be hanging out with, crack heads. Those crack heads ended up stealing a great 
amount of money from my bank.  Every day I looked for the next high to avoid dealing with my homelessness 
and the life I was living, which is why I hung with the crowd I did.  My friendís parents who had taken me in 
or helped me before were no longer there. I was left at the mercy of everyday. 
I tried going back home one last time. While I was waiting for my parents to come home I broke into 
their house just for some food. When they arrived home and my dad calls the cops. Spent a couple days locked 
up When I got out I lived with my aunt, in a tent in her back yard, trying to gain my familyís trust back; Iím 
glad that I had one last chance. While I was with her I did A.A classes and community service for court.  
My family told me I had to take some urine tests if I was going to be living with them. A couple 
months of living with them, I had to take a test, I failed. They also found some pot in the house, so I was 
kicked out of that house. I tried to make it to another court date, but I ended up being late too many times 
(thatís what happens when you have to rely on others,) so the judge arrested me. Once again, Iím locked upÖ 
 More people read the bible in jail than you think.  I did, and I grew quite a bit in there. I get out and 
moved immediately to a co-workers house and his parents. I was only supposed to stay there for 3 days but 
they understood the predicament I was in, and motivation I had for correction. So they let me stay for a while. 
In that time I was doing all 112 hrs of community service in the 1 month I had. For me, from my time in jail to 
staying with my friend and his parents my growing faith in God helped me to mentally focus and straighten out 
my priorities with dedication I never new.  I was still quite far from what youíd call a ìproper citizen of soci- 
etyî. Since I wasnít going through such rough times by then, I had stopped using meth. But to comfort the un- 
stable times I was still going through; drugs, sex, booze and cigarettes were still a part of my life. 
 As the days went by, still having trust in something I couldnít see (aka faith,) I was getting strength, 
motivation and dedication I never once had before on a regular basis.  My friends became others who had 
something going for them- that could mean anything from a positive personality, to studying their way through 
college for a masters degree. These kinds of friends motivated me to keep the ball rolling the other way. I was 
getting closer to finally getting myself out of this homeless entanglement I was in, and thatís no understate- 
ment. My life seemed to be getting better constantly. Since I was doing all this pretty much on my own, it was 
going very slow. But I got my license, I got out of the drug habit (all the way down to not even drinking or 
smoking cigarettes,) I voted too. Iíd say these things arenít just repeated coincidental luck, rather, help from 
God.  
 I will be graduating from alternative high school in June.    
My Voice  
A column from   
our homeless people 

No comments:

Post a Comment